To provide excellent service, a successful HVAC contractor needs reliable tools and equipment. Tools of the Trade offers a look at the tools, equipment, and services these contractors use to help them run their businesses.
Gillette Air Conditioning San Antonio, TX
Gillette Air Conditioning, Inc., San Antonio, TX, is the 2010 Contracting Business Commercial HVAC Contractor of the Year. For 50 years, this family-owned and operated company has provided quality commercial HVAC solutions for hospitals, schools, office buildings, shopping malls, and government projects, within a 150-mile radius of San Antonio.
A well-organized ductwork fabrication group is a cornerstone to the company's project startup and completion success. The company pursues North American Technician Excellence (NATE) certification and LEED® certification. Vince Gillette, Sr., founded the company. Vince Gillette, Jr., is president. For their story, visit http://bit.ly/cbgillette.
IN THE TRUCKS
- Number and type of trucks/vans: 24 Chevy vans; 19 Ford vans; 13 Chevy pickups; 2 Dodge vans; 9 Chevy, Ford, GMC flat beds; 1 Ford pickup; 3 Dodge pickups; 1 GMC box van; 1 STLG crane.
- Inventory on trucks/vans: miscellaneous relays, valves, fittings, contactors, etc. Expendable pieces such as wing nuts, ties, lubricants.
- Test instruments technicians carry: Fluke meter; Testo unit analyzer; lap top computers.
- Tools provided to technicians: large power tools and specialty tools.
- Preferred field communications method: Verizon cell phones.
- Preferred ladders: Featherlite; Werner.
IN THE OFFICE
- Preferred business management software: Jonas.
- Preferred load calculation software: Carrier HAP.
- Preferred fleet track software: Jonas; Telemac GPS.
- Preferred sales management software: Jonas.
- Preferred computers/printers: Dell; Lexmark; HP.
- Preferred photocopiers: Ricoh Documation.
- Business connection to the Internet via: AT&T.
- Uniform supplier: Rent from Service Uniforms.
IN THE SHOP
- Preferred heating equipment brands: Carrier; Lennox.
- Preferred cooling equipment brands: Carrier; McQuay; York.
- Preferred accessory brands: Titus; Price; ETI.
- Ductwork fabrication software: TSI.
- Preferred zoning equipment: Automated Logic.
- Preferred Indoor Air Quality equipment: Munters.
- Technicians currently certified and type of certification: All technicians are certified by North American Technician Excellence (NATE) and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME); Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) APs on staff.
- Preferred distributors: York; Carrier; McQuay.