Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) announced the launch of the Quality Assured Residential Service and Installation (RSI) Contractor Accreditation Program and the Verifier Recognition Program during the opening general session of ACCA 2013, this week in Orlando, FL.
The Quality Assured RSI program is a national, contractor-supported accreditation program to promote quality installations of HVAC systems in existing homes. The program accredits professional HVAC businesses and issues certificates for quality installations of heating and cooling systems that meet certain minimum requirements
“The RSI program was developed by contractors for contractors and is based on the successful platform of the QA New Homes program and ACCA’s industry-developed standard for quality installation," says Laura DiFilippo, ACCA Chairman of Board. "This new program offers contractors a way to distinguish themselves to customers who want the job installed to the industry standard."
RSI contractors install HVAC systems to meet the ANSI/ACCA 5 QI (HVAC Quality Installation Specification). These installations are registered with the RSI program, and then verified by a third party as meeting the criteria of the program. After meeting the program requirements, the RSI contractors will be issued a certificate (for the homeowner) stating that elements of the installation were verified to meet the minimum requirements.
To participate in the RSI program, contractors must:
- Successfully complete the online RSI Orientation course.
- Complete and submit the RSI contractor application and procedures.
After being accredited, the contractor must:
- Maintain licenses, insurance, and/or bonding as required by the federal, state, and municipal jurisdictions in which the business operates;
- Implement written policies, procedures, and practices stating how the contracting business supports achieving quality installations by following ANSI/ACCA 5 QI Standard;
- Install a minimum of two registered QI jobs in the first year of participation and install a minimum of five registered QI jobs each subsequent year.
To complement the RSI accreditation program, ACCA also launched the Verifier Program. This program qualifies building science professionals who serve as third-party verifiers to evaluate the HVAC systems that RSI contractors submit for recognition.
To participate in the Verifier Program, individuals must:
- Successfully complete the ACCA Verifier knowledge test;
- Complete and submit the Verifier application packet and procedures;
- Work in a company that maintains licenses, insurance, and/or bonding as required by the federal, state, and municipal jurisdictions in which the business operates.
Until enough third-party verifiers are available in their area, an RSI contractor may have an impartial employee earn recognition as an Evaluator in order to perform some of the verification duties.
"Many residential HVAC installations are using too much energy to provide too little comfort to the customer," says Paul T. Stalknecht, ACCA president and CEO. "We believe these accreditation programs will raise the bar for everyone in the industry as customers become more aware that quality installations create healthier and more comfortable homes."
Contractors and verifiers do not have to be members of ACCA to participate in either of these programs.
To learn more about the RSI Programs, visit acca.org/qa, email [email protected], or call 703/824-8877.