A question I get asked frequently in regards to pent-up demand is where and how to find new employees. The answer is two fold. It requires a good understanding of recruiting and how to effectively recruit for the HVAC industry.
To first understand recruiting, you have to know what it is — and most importantly what it isn’t.
- Is not selection; the two have very different functions.
- Is not a one-time event; it is always occurring.
- Is not just management’s responsibility; it is an action everyone in the organization should be
- Is not something to take lightly; it is and should be treated as the lifeblood of your business.
Next, you need to have an executional strategy for recruiting quality candidates. A proven and unique
method I find to be fruitful is hosting a career fair. Here are five secrets to success:
- Pick the right day — Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursday are the best days to hold a career day.
I personally prefer Thursdays.
- Place an ad — Announce the career day in your local print publication and include a phone number for applicants to set up an interview time. Don’t forget to also promote your ad on social media.
- Keep a list — When applicants call to book a time, be sure to keep a list of people who plan on
attending and do not exceed more than 20 people per company team member working the event.
- Utilize a script — On career day, cover who you are, what you do, and company requirements,
then explain company and employee commitments as a group. Follow up with a 15-minute break
and then begin individual interviews.
- Follow-up — Send each applicant a thank you letter and a promotional offering from your company
and set up potential new employees for appropriate hiring processes like background checks, etc.
This tried-and-true recruiting method is best executed by three or more company team members,
and is a great timesaving tool in the search for your next superstar employee.