For more than 30 years, Baggett Heating & Cooling has helped the people of Clarksville/Montgomery County, TN, come home to comfort. Paul Baggett founded Baggett Heating & Cooling in 1974.
In 1986, Allen Owen, who had started as a subcontractor with Baggett Heating & Cooling in 1978, purchased the company. In 2001, Owen’s youngest daughter, Alana, joined the company after graduating from Middle Tennessee State University.
She was named general manager in 2002. Alana Owen Ward was licensed by the state of Tennessee as Master Mechanical Contractor in 2005, and became majority owner of the business in 2006.
Baggett Heating & Cooling specializes in the design and installation of residential comfort systems. It has installed or replaced equipment in as many as 3,000 homes in the Clarksville area. Alana Ward is Contracting Business.com’s 2012 HVACR Woman of the Year. Read her story at bit.ly/AlanaWardCB.
IN THE TRUCKS
- Number and type of trucks/vans: Two Ford Econoline Vans, one Ford F150 pick up, and one Ford E350 box truck with Tommy lift.
- Inventory on trucks/vans: Contactors, capacitors, thermostats, condensate pumps, a small selection of replacement motors, relays, heat sequencers.
- Tools provided: Recovery machines, carbon monoxide analyzers. The company prefers that technicians and installers invest in as many tools as possible. It allows purchase of those items through tool accounts that take a weekly deduction from paychecks.
- Test instruments: Yellow Jacket vacuum pumps and oil pumps, Bacharach leak detectors, Alnor flow meter, Cooper digital thermometers, Cooper air/surface probes, Yellow Jacket psychrometer, Ritchie micron/vacuum gauge, RefTec recovery units, caulk gun, Pelouze digital scale.
- Preferred field communications method: Cell phones and text messages. The company recently went to paying a cell allowance for use of personal phones to eliminate carrying two phones.
- Preferred ladder type: Louisville.
IN THE OFFICE
- Preferred business management software: My Service Depot’s Smart Service and Quickbooks.
- Preferred load calculation software:Wrightsoft.
- Preferred computer/printer equipment: Dell.
- Business connection to the Internet: T5 line.
- Fax machines: Cannon all-in-one print, copy, fax.
- Preferred uniform supplier, rent or buy: Rent uniforms from a local company, New Day Uniforms.
- Credit cards accepted: Visa, Mastercard, PaySimple.com.
- Certifications: North American Technician Excellence, EPA certification.
IN THE SHOP
- Preferred HVAC equipment brand: Maytag.
- Preferred accessory equipment brand: Honeywell.
- Preferred distributors: Dale Supply Co., Nashville, TN; Ferguson, Johnstone Supply.