Running a service business isn’t easy. Some days, it might feel like you’re being pulled in a hundred different directions. Everyone expects something from you and you can’t be everywhere at once, or can you?
In this article, you’ll read about a technology you can use to help you strengthen and grow your company, to create a more efficient and more profitable company with a team that is aligned and working hard toward your vision.
Your videos may not be perfect but they don’t have to be; the more important thing is that you communicate authentically to your audience.
The best part is: you already have access to this technology (probably within reach right now) and implementing it is as easy as pressing a button.
Pick up your mobile device, locate your camera function, set it to video, press record. Using these very simple steps, you can immediately improve your company’s training, communication, alignment, and productivity.
Why You Should Use Video Right Now
You may have read the above paragraphs and thought, “I’m terrible in front of the camera” or “there’s no way that people will want to watch a video.” But those objections aren’t true at all: your videos may not be perfect but they don’t have to be; the more important thing is that you communicate authentically to your audience. A few mistakes aren’t that big of a deal and, if you make videos part of your company culture then people will willingly watch them as part of their job.
How To Use Video In Your Business
There are so many ways to use video in your business. Here are a few (but there are so many more)…
- Use video to train your team. Record short training videos about all aspects of your business – from how you want the phones answered to how you want your customers served. They don’t need to be long – 5 to 10 minutes max – but once you’ve created them, you’ll have a bank of videos that can be used over and over again. Your team can view them as part of the onboarding process as well as for occasional refreshers.
- Use video to communicate with your team. Record weekly or even daily videos for your team. Use those videos to convey high level information, realign your team to your company’s vision, and inspire them with your own thoughts and ideas. You’ll save time by communicating a message once that gets viewed by everyone, but you’ll also ensure clarity because everyone stays on the same page through the frequency of your videos.
- Use video to serve your customers. When your sales team is in a customer’s house, have them record the details of the problem so that the installation team can view the video before going to the customer’s house to get a preview of what to expect or what special tools or equipment they might need.
All of this can be done just with your mobile device! Of course you can expand even more if you get a video camera and tripod, but you don’t need anything fancy to get started.
How To Get Started Fast
Set aside 5 minutes every day to record a video. Keep it short, do it in just one take, and then upload it to a company YouTube channel.
- For company-wide videos, share the link with your team and ask them to watch the video and email you back with their thoughts.
- For training videos, start building a library of training videos and invite others to record training videos of their jobs.
With this 5-minutes-a-day strategy, you will rapidly build up a library of videos that you can use over and over again.
You’ll be surprised at how effective this strategy is. Do it daily for a month and you’ll see how much more aligned and effective your team is because you CAN “be everywhere” at once.
Mike Agugliaro, is the “Business Warrior” and founder of CEO Warrior, a business consulting and mentoring firm, providing tested and proven methods to defeat the roadblocks that prevent small to mid-sized businesses from achieving their ultimate success. He has played a key role in building Gold Medal Services’ success, as co-owner of the company. For more information about CEO Warrior, visit www.CEOWARRIOR.com.