It’s extremely important to understand that any meaningful change in your company begins with you.
Your attitude and actions toward change dictates how your company reacts to both internal and external changes. An enthusiastic response to change will propel you and the business to untapped heights, but a hesitant approach to change will lead you and the company to mediocrity or worse.
To reach your full potential, you must do the following:
1. Change your rules for success. Some of the habits and activities that have worked for you in the past won’t work. Reinventing yourself to remain competitive in today’s economy may be a necessity.
2. Ignore conventional wisdom. Challenging the status quo is important to blossom. Regularly asking yourself why things are done a certain way will allow you to obtain the improvement that you seek.
3. Choose a different set of risks. You must ask yourself if the risk of changing is greater than the risk of doing nothing (a more dangerous pathway).
4. Get uncomfortable. Getting uncomfortable is necessary to grow to your full potential. If you are not feeling any discomfort or anxiety, the risk is not great enough.
5. Fall in love. Change must ignite a passion — this passion will drive you, it will become contagious with your employees, and be experienced by your customer. Once your heart takes charge of your actions, you have become the change that you seek.
These five points will allow you to embody change, while becoming a healthier leader and serving your customer and company in a better way. This is a sure way to leave your competition wondering how your company has improved in such a rapid fashion.Mike Mooreis the HVAC Training Director at HVAC Learning Solutions, an HVAC industry expert in sales, technical, and business training. Visit Mike’s blog for more insights. Mike can be reached on Twitter @hvaclearning or on Google+ at gplus.to/hvactraining.