SMACNA Elects Executive Committee/VP; Moves on Pension Reform
At the Sheet Metal Air Conditioning Contractors National Association (SMACNA) –smacna.org — Board of Directors meeting in July, the following officers were elected to terms beginning Oct. 23, 2013:
- President Randy Novak, president, Novak Heating and Air Conditioning Inc., Hiawatha, IP
- President-Elect Tom Szymczak, president, SSM Industries Inc., Pittsburgh, PA
- Secretary/Treasurer Guy Gast, president, The Waldinger Corp., Des Moines, IA
- Vice President Joseph R. Lansdell, president, Poynter Sheet Metal Inc., Bloomington, IN
- Immediate Past President Howard Stine, executive vice president, Charles E. Jarrel Contracting, Earth City, MO.
Strategic Planning Task Force Report
During the meeting, the SMACN board reviewed the report of the Strategic Planning Task Force and approved its recommendation of four revised objectives for SMACNA:
- Position SMACNA as the portal for HVACR and sheet metal education and information.
- Extend SMACNA’s scope of influence and support base in the lifecycle of sustainable building innovation.
- Increase support of chapters to strengthen their relevance to SMACNA members.
- Build financial reserves to one year’s operating expenses.
The Board approved the following Pension Reform Policy Statement:
SMACNA supports modification and reform of existing pension law to allow plans and bargaining parties more flexibility to deal with funding issues of multiemployer defined benefit pension plans. Changes should focus on long-term viability of construction firms, mitigation of the unintended consequences of the “last man standing” rule and plan sustainability in order to provide security of retirement benefits for participants.
The Board approved the applications for two SMACNA chapter charters for the Waterloo-Wellington Sheet Metal Contractors Association of Cambridge, Ontario Canada and the Residential Heating Ventilation Contractors Association (RHVCA) in Woodbridge, Ontario Canada.
New International Affiliate Members
Additionally two new international companies Nakhoul Corporation s.a.r.l. of Keserwan, Lebanon and Sharqawi Air Distribution Systems Factory of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, both received international affiliate status.
MOA with the Lean Construction Institute
The Board also approved SMACNA’s participation in a memorandum of agreement with the Lean Construction Institute (LCI). As a result of this arrangement SMACNA members will benefit from the latest research and educational programs on lean construction. Members will also have access to the extensive research, analysis, and educational materials compiled by LCI through SMACNA’s various business education programs.