Each month, Contracting Business picks a leading contractor and takes a look at the products, tools, and services that he or she has chosen to help make their company successful.
TUDI Mechanical Systems,
McKees Rocks, PA
Bob Tudi, CEO, TUDI Mechanical Systems, began his company in 1987, with $4,000 and a pickup truck. Starting with modest means and fueled by big dreams, he built TUDI Mechanical Systems into a premier HVAC and plumbing contractor in the Pittsburgh, PA region. Tudi leaned on technology, employee perks, management incentives, and customer satisfaction to grow sales. Today, TUDI Mechanical Services provides residential and commercial HVAC innovations. A commercial branch was opened recently in Tampa, FL. Tudi says that to build a company and customer base right from the ground up, you must concentrate on the customers’ needs, and work smarter and faster, while training and retaining the best employees in the business. Bob Tudi and Design/Build Manager George Gittinger served as presenters for CB's recent Commercial HVACR Symposium. In addition, the company recently won a 2011 Contracting Business.com Design/Build Award (find the story online, at http://bit.ly/TUDIDesignBuildAward).
IN THE TRUCKS
- Number and type of trucks/vans: 40 Chevy Express 2500 cargo vans, 6 Chevy Express box vans, 7 Ford E250 cargo vans, and various others.
- Tools provided: Power tools, anything corded.
- Preferred tools and test instruments technicians carry: UEI combustion analyzers, carbon monoxide detectors, infrared temperature guns, voltage testers, refrigerant leak detectors, Ritchie micron gauges.
- Preferred field communications method: Sprint/Nextel Direct Connect-enabled phones and Blackberries.
- Preferred ladder type: Werner.
IN THE OFFICE
- Preferred business management software: Servman.
- Preferred sales management software: Goldmine.
- Preferred load calculation software: Carrier HAP.
- Preferred fleet tracking software: Fleetmatics.
- Preferred computer/printer equipment: Dell/HP.
- Preferred photocopier equipment: Sharp.
- Business connection to the Internet via: Access2Go T-1 line.
- Preferred uniform supplier: Cintas.
- Credit Cards Accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, EFT.
IN THE SHOP
- Preferred heating equipment brands: Carrier, Trane, Lennox.
- Preferred cooling equipment brands: Carrier, Trane, Lennox, Unico.
- Preferred accessory brands: Aprilaire, Carrier, Trane.
- Preferred zoning equipment: Carrier.
- Preferred Indoor Air Quality equipment: Trane CleanEffects, Guardian Aire.
- Preferred distributors: Standard Air & Lite (Carrier), Trane PennOhio DSO.
- Technician certifications: EPA universal refrigerant, Gastite, North American Technician Excellence (NATE), and manufacturer-sponsored certifications from Carrier, Trane, Lennox.