Steve Schmidt of Frederick Air in Frederick, MD was named the 2018 Chairman of The Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) during the association's annual IE3 Conference and Expo, February 12-14, at the Gaylord National Harbor in Washington, DC.
The new Board of Directors and Officers were also installed to an audience of member contracting firms.
The 2017 chairman, Don Langston of Aire Rite Airconditioning and Refrigeration in Huntington Beach, CA, passed the leadership of the ACCA Board of Directors to Schmidt.
Reflecting on his tenure as the 2017-18 Chairman, Langston highlighted numerous workforce related accomplishments instituted under his leadership. Langston noted ACCA’s efforts that have led to the creation of the President’s Task Force on Apprenticeship Expansion, the introduction of apprenticeship legislation by Senator Wicker, and robust partnerships with the Association for Career and Technical Education and SkillsUSA.
Langston stated that he will remain focused on workforce development in his role as Immediate Past Chair. He said, “workforce development is very close to my heart and I pledge to you that I will continue to work in my company, with ACCA, and with you to fix [our industry’s workforce] problem once and for all.”
Chairman Schmidt energized attendees by promising to ensure Langston’s efforts to bring more young professionals into the HVACR industry will lead to a renewed and expanded ACCA.
Schmidt stated that his goal for ACCA is to ensure young HVACR professionals recognize the value of their national trade association by focusing on the benefits that young contractors look for and doing more to engage students and young professionals. He said, “As an association that has been led by Baby Boomers, we must adapt. Millennials are buying businesses or starting their own companies, and ACCA has to be there for them.”
Serving alongside Schmidt on the Executive Committee are Directors and Officers:
- Eric Knaak, Isaac Heating & Air Conditioning, Rochester, NY, senior vice chairman;
- Dan Weis, Weis Comfort Systems, Inc., Fenton, MO, secretary/treasurer;
- Lanny Huffman, Hickory Sheet Metal Co., Inc., Hickory, NC, vice chairman;
- Wade Mayfield, Thermal Services, Omaha, NE, vice chairman;
- Ken Goodrich, Goettl Air Conditioning, Tempe, AZ, vice chairman;
- Langston will serve this year as immediate past chairman.
Directors on the Board, not serving on the Executive Committee are:
- Dave Boelcke, Boelcke Heating and Air Conditioning, Stevensville, MI;
- Linda Couch, Parrish Services, Inc., Manassas, VA;
- Tim Cropp, CroppMetcalfe Services, Fairfax, VA;
- Dan Foley, Foley Mechanical, Inc., Lorton, VA;
- Louis Fuentes, Air Conditioning Guys, Inc., El Centro, CA;
- Vince Gillette, Gillette Air Conditioning Company, Inc., San Antonio, TX;
- Martin Hoover, Empire Heating and Air Conditioning, Inc., Decatur, GA;
- Eddie McFarlane, Haller Enterprises, Inc. Lititz, PA;
- Rob Minnick, Minnick's Inc., Laurel, MD;
- Steve Pape, Pape Service Co., Desoto, TX;
- Keith Paton, Ivey Mechanical LLC, Kosciusko, MS;
- Brian Stack, Stack Heating & Cooling, Avon, OH;
- Michael Stanfield, Comfort Systems USA Southwest, Chandler, AZ.
The 2018-19 Board of Directors will serve until the 2019 ACCA Annual Conference scheduled for March 4-6 in San Antonio, TX.
ACCA honored contractors and industry partners with awards during its Industry Champions breakfast. Contractors and ACCA partners were recognized for the Residential Contractor of the Year Award, Commercial Contractor of the Year Award, Federated Insurance’s ACCA Super S.T.A.R., Skip Snyder Humanitarian Award, and the Distinguished Service Award. Federated Insurance also honored ACCA with a plaque celebrating the 10-year Anniversary of the ACCA-Federated Corporate Partnership.
ACCA hosted more than 30 Learning Labs and networking luncheons. ACCA also hosted the annual Management Information Exchange (MIX®) Group MIXer for contractors interested in joining an ACCA MIX Group, a premier membership benefit. The most popular learning labs focused on communications guidance, creative marketing strategies, innovative training programs, proven methods to recruit qualified staff and hire veterans, and successful customer service tips.
CLICK HERE for photos of the Learning Labs, networking luncheons, and the MIXer.