Johnson Controls has released new Coleman LX Series packaged units manufactured with advanced product engineering and manufacturing processes. Rigorous quality and field testing has been used to ensure simplified installation, setup and servicing, and efficient, dependable performance.
Johnson Controls reports the units are 29% more efficient, with a 14 Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER) rating that exceeds U.S. Department of Energy efficiency standards.
“We invested more than 65,000 hours in customer research and product design and testing. The result is a product optimized for efficiency, serviceability and customer satisfaction,” said Liz Haggerty, vice president and general manager, Johnson Controls Unitary Products Group.
JCI has produced one of the most detailed videos ever offered by a manufacturer to describe the research and advanced manufacturing process for the Coleman LX Series packaged unit. Watch it here:
The unit’s cabinet design improves installation and serviceability with a compact size, which fits most roof frames and slabs, and exact-match gas and electric hookups. Front and top access to the compressor, refrigeration controls and blower enhances serviceability, as does top access to the condenser fan and motor, and side access to the compressor, coil, heat exchanger and filters. Additionally, a standardized design ensures performance, simplifies repairs and reduces the number of replacement parts contractors must carry in inventory and on service trucks.
Coleman LX Series packaged units also feature:
- Optimized heating and cooling solution for residential and light commercial buildings
- Single-cabinet design versus previous three-cabinet model
- Tested copper tube/aluminum fin condenser coils that combine an outstanding heat transfer rate with long-term reliability and corrosion resistance
- Slide-out evaporator coil for easier cleaning
- Easier setup and operation with simplified control technology, including LED status lights
- Tubular stainless steel gas heat exchanger with a lifetime limited warranty as standard
- Stronger, easily removable base rails (use just two screws per corner) that improve installation
- Single-stage compressor and single-stage gas heat
One of JCI's advanced testing methods included a proven method to recreate field conditions, known as a Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT) chamber.
“[Using the HALT chamber] allows us to create conditions and verify component performance during weather events, humidity levels, under/over voltage and temperatures down to -10F," said Darren Warnecker, a Johnson Controls lead reliability engineer.
In addition, the cabinet’s 1,000-hour salt spray rating ensures an exterior finish with a superior appearance and outstanding corrosion protection.
The 2- to 5-ton capacity Coleman LX Series packaged units are currently available in cooling with gas heat configuration. Additional configurations, including cooling with electric heat, heat pumps with electric heat and heat pumps with gas heat, will be phased in over 2015.