This product delivers the serviceability, efficiency and performance that contractors and homeowners demand,” said Liz Haggerty, vice president and general manager, Johnson Controls Unitary Products Group. “This is the first Luxaire packaged unit to follow our advanced engineering and manufacturing process to simplify installation, improve serviceability, and reinforce customer confidence.”
Watch this video on the research and advanced manufacturing process that defines the Luxaire LX Series.
Sources report the unit’s compact size fits most roof frames and slabs, and exact-match gas and electric hookups save time during installation and setup. Conveniently located panels improve accessibility to critical components: front and top panels for access to the compressor, refrigeration controls and blower; top panels to access the condenser fan and motor; and side panels to access the compressor, coil, heat exchanger and filters.
“This design gives contractors access to all necessary components at the front of the unit,” said Miles Williams, staff engineer at Johnson Controls. “For the technician this means better serviceability in less time with better results.”
Additionally, a standardized design ensures performance, simplifies repairs and reduces the number of replacement parts contractors must carry in inventory and on service trucks.
Control technology, including LED status lights, simplifies the complexities of system setup and operation as it improves reliability and protects critical components. Other features include:
- Optimized heating and cooling solution for residential and light commercial buildings
- Single-cabinet design versus previous three-cabinet model
- Tested copper tube/aluminum fin condenser coils that combine an outstanding heat transfer rate with long-term reliability and corrosion resistance
- Slide-out evaporator coil for easier cleaning
- Tubular stainless steel gas heat exchanger with a lifetime limited warranty as standard
- Stronger, easily removable base rails (use just two screws per corner) that improve installation
- Single-stage compressor and single-stage gas heat
Extensive testing of components and systems simulates more than 20 years of operational performance to verify component performance during weather events, humidity levels, under/over voltage and temperatures down to -10 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition, the cabinet’s 1,000-hour salt spray rating ensures an exterior finish with a superior appearance and outstanding corrosion protection.
The 2- to 5-ton capacity Luxaire LX Series packaged units are currently available in cooling with gas heat configuration. Additional configurations, including cooling with electric heat, heat pumps with electric heat and heat pumps with gas heat, will be phased in over 2015.