Johnson Controls' Coleman brand of comfort products has released a space-saving solution that delivers heating and cooling to structures without ductwork, including homes and room additions. Commercial applications also benefit, especially computer server rooms where temperatures must be maintained, even in winter when other parts of the building are not being cooled.
“Previously sold outside the North American market, the compact, energy-efficient ductless mini-split air conditioners and heat pumps have been added to the Coleman Echelon™ Series and LX Series product lines to fit more comfort in more places without requiring the installation of air handlers and expensive ductwork,” says Mimoun Abaraw, senior product manager, Unitary Products Group at Johnson Controls.
The systems combine smaller outdoor units and attractive, slim wall-mounted indoor units, linked by a conduit that requires nothing more than a small three-to four-in. opening. Single-zone mini-splits provide individualized comfort in a single room, while multi-zone models connect a single outdoor unit to as many as five indoor units, providing comfort in larger areas. In addition, occupants can set temperature and humidity levels for each unit in each room, saving energy and ensuring comfort.
“It’s also worth noting that most models in the Echelon Series are ENERGY STAR certified, with Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratios (SEER) ranging from 16 to 27 and a Heating Seasonal Performance Factor (HSPF) as high as 10 to ensure energy-efficient performance and comfort,” addd Abaraw. Both ratings exceed government standards and ensure energy efficient performance and comfort.
Unlike conventional heat pumps, the mini-splits use a cold blow prevention feature that slightly delays the indoor fan at the start of a cycle to make sure the air comes out warm to keep room occupants comfortable.
The mini-split system is quiet, too, thanks to variable-speed fans. Other system features include:
- Advanced compressor technology that modulates the York ductless system to a minimum of 15 Hz and as high as 120 Hz using only the electricity needed to deliver the right amount of cooling or heating for optimum comfort and energy savings.
- A wireless remote controller with a built-in temperature sensor that controls and satisfies cooling or heating set point temperatures wherever the remote control is located.
- The ability to work in outdoor temperatures ranging as low as 5° F, without resorting to expensive electric backup heating.
- An advanced multi-part filter system accessory that uses a catechin material and treated fibers to remove contaminants, such as allergens, to improve indoor air quality.
- Designed for common household current (115 V) or standard appliance current (208-230 V) to minimize wiring and installation costs.
The option to install the water drainage outlet on either the right or left side of the indoor unit.
To learn more about the new, Coleman ductless mini-split air conditioners and heat pumps, talk to a Coleman distributor or visit the Coleman website at colemanac.com/homeowners/mini_split_systems/index.asp. To locate a distributor near you, visit the company website at colemanhvacdealer.com.