Earlier this week, Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI) shared with its members the results of a nationwide survey of contractors that AHRI commissioned this year in cooperation with ACCA and PHCC, as part of the Industry Awareness Campaign. Among the subjects explored were contractor reliance on the AHRI Directory, emergency vs. planned replacement, and workforce development.
Among the findings:
- Nearly 90 percent of respondents have between 1 and 50 technicians; 49 percent have between 1 and 5
- 73 percent have at least one NATE-certified tech
- 75 percent said they always or most of the time have a difficult time finding qualified, motivated technicians despite 60 percent having a relationship with a local technical school
- 75 percent said AHRI Directory is critically, very, or somewhat important to their business
- Lack of a clean driving record, inability to pass a drug test, and being technically ill-prepared and unmotivated are recurring hiring issues among contractors seeking new employees.