Dewey Jenkins purchased the Morris Heating & Cooling company in 1990, and renamed it Morris-Jenkins. Since then, the company has grown from 12 employees to 140. Keys to the company's success include emphasis on change and improvement, and a commitment to honesty, integrity, and fairness. Morris-Jenkins is the ContractingBusiness.com 2009 Residential Contractor of the Year.
You can hear Dewey Jenkins' story during his award acceptance speech at HVAC Comfortech, Sept. 23-26, Nashville, TN.
Visit hvaccomfortech.com for more information on HVAC Comfortech and HVACR Week.
IN THE TRUCKS
- Number and type of trucks/vans: 12 Chevrolet pick-ups; 11 Chevrolet box trucks; 45 Chevrolet work vans; 13 Dodge Sprinter vans; 2 Ford Explorers.
- Tools technicians carry: Robinair® vacuum pump; Appion™ recovery machine; Uniweld® torch kit; Shop -Vac® vacuum.
- Test instuments technicians carry: Inficon D-Tec electronic leak detetor; Fluke® carbon monoxide detedtors; Supco carbon monoxide detectors; UEi electronic manometer; Nu-Calgon coil gun; UEi digital temperature probe; Fluke digital psychrometer; Ritchie digital psychrometer; Fluke digital volt/ohm meter; Testo Video Pro inspection camera; Ridgid® See-Snake® inspection camera; TIF™ digital refrigerant scale; Yellow Jacket® refrigerant gauges; Dwyer® magnehelic gauge; Supco micron gauge.
- Field communications: Nextel.
- Brand of ladders: Werner®.
IN THE OFFICE
- Business management software: Timberline®; Microsoft® Office.
- Business software: S2000 WIN®.
- Sales management software: Microsoft® Office.
- Business Internet connection: T1 lines from NuVox®
- Computer/printer equipment: HP®.
- Photocopier/fax machine: Canon®.
- Credit Cards Accepted: American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard®, Visa®.
- Uniform suppler: Rent from G&K Services
- Certification — Number of technicians currently certified, and type of certification: 42 North American Technicians Excellence (NATE)-certified technicians.
IN THE SHOP
- Preferred HVAC heating equipment brands: Comfortmaker®, Ruud®, York®.
- Preferred HVAC cooling equipment brands: Comfortmaker, Ruud, York.
- Preferred accessory equipment: Aprilaire®, Honeywell®.
- Preferred zoning equipment: Honeywell, Zone First®.
- Amount of equipment inventoried: $82,000.
- Preferred distributors: Coastline Distribution; Virginia Air; N.B. Handy; Johnstone Supply; Dealers Supply.